7.26.2010

Simple Pleasures


I'm usually sad to see the back end of ANY weekend, but I'm feeling a particularly poignant pang for the demise of this one just past, because it was just so lovely. A weekend full of simple pleasures.

Friday evening: I sequestered myself on the couch with a (well-deserved) glass of wine and settled down to watch MasterClass. The cockles of my heart were warmed when I saw all the contestants joking around and taking the piss out of each other and the judges, but that was nothing compared to the joy I felt when it became clear that everyone shared my opinion that Jonathan is an absolute tosser!

On Saturday morning I got up and pottered around for a little while, getting ready to go over to my parent's place via public transport. Although we live a mere 10 minute drive from each other, my inability to drive and Sydney's inability to anticipate my transportation needs in the form of convenient bus and train routes meant that the trip often takes an hour or more. But then, lo and behold, Captain Turbo walked through the door, home from his weekend class early, and heroically came to my rescue, agreeing (cheerfully!) to drive me over.

The day passed pleasantly - cups of tea, getting my hair cut, lunch and grocery shopping with my mother, a trip to the mall with my father, and a toe-curlingly delicious dinner shared with family.

Sunday was similarly uneventful and yet wonderful. Grocery shopping; a homemade lemon, zucchini and goat's cheese pizza for lunch; a long, long walk around the harbour, alone with a new audiobook and, often, my own thoughts; baked tomato & zucchini risotto and a glass of red on the couch in front of MasterChef and an early bedtime.

I hope I am always as easily satisfied with these simple pleasures as I am now.




No comments:

Post a Comment